The referenced Canon 1326 states, “A judge may inflict a more serious punishment than that prescribed in the law or precept when: a person, after being condemned, or after the penalty has been declared, continued so to offend that obstinate ill-will may prudently be concluded from the circumstances; a person who is established in some position of dignity, or who has abused a position of authority or an office in order to commit a crime.”
In the interview with ACI Africa, Hon. Monydit clarified, “We have not yet reached the stage of the lawyers to get involved. As the investigators have started, it will be now up to the judiciary when lawyers would come into the case; so far only the persecutor is following closely.”
Msgr. Carlassare who was appointed Bishop for Rumbek Diocese March 8 after nearly a decade without a Bishop is nursing gunshot injuries at The Nairobi Hospital in Kenya.
He was reportedly the main target of two gunmen who gained access to his room in the early hours of April 26 by shooting multiple bullets on his door at the Fathers’ residence at Holy Family Cathedral of Rumbek Diocese. He was shot in both legs.
In the April 30 interview with ACI Africa, Hon. Monydit said that the two gunmen “are still on the run but the investigative committee has gathered information on the identity of the armed men and the reason behind the attack of Monsignor Carlassare.”
(Story continues below)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
At ACI Africa, our team is committed to reporting the truth with courage, integrity, and fidelity to our faith. We provide news from Africa, as seen through the teachings of the Catholic Church - so that you can grow in your Catholic faith.
When you subscribe to the ACI Africa Updates, we will send you a daily email with links to the news you need.
Use the form below to stay informed, and to tell us where we can send the ACI Africa Updates!
As part of this free service you may receive occasional offers from us at EWTN News and EWTN. We won't rent or sell your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
He reiterated, “The suspects who took the action of shooting the Bishop-elect are not arrested; the security forces are still pursuing them, but the other suspects who are in connection to what had happened are arrested.”
“Day and night, we are after those still not arrested; they move to point A and when we go there, they move to point B; we are closer to arresting them; I am assuring you we must arrest them,” the government official further said, adding, “We know the two people on the run by name and by identity; we have all the details but for security reasons we will not share the details in the media.”
According to Hon. Monydit, “There are two groups of suspects: the planners who include members of the Clergy and the implementers of gunfire said to be working for the Catholic Mission of Rumbek.”
What happened in the early hours of April 26 “seems to be something planned and effected,” he emphasized, adding, “One group is the implementing group who carried out the shooting of the Bishop-elect and the other group is accused of being behind the plan.”
“It will be up to the top leadership of South Sudan to decide whether the accused remain here (Rumbek) or they take them somewhere else,” Hon. Monydit said, and added, “After I am done with the investigation, the direct supervisor for this committee is the state governor and the deputy governor and then would report to the next level, maybe to the national level.”
He further said, “We wish the Bishop-elect to recover and comeback to resume his work; people are happy to work with him, it is only that group.”
“I am assuring you that this case would be the last of its kind against a Church leader here because it is condemned by all the communities,” the government official also said, adding, “The Catholic Church has done a lot to the people of South Sudan during the war (liberation war) until now and cannot be rewarded that way.”
In an ACI Africa video recording from his hospital bed at The Nairobi hospital Tuesday, April 27, Bishop-elect Msgr. Carlassare reassured the people of God in Rumbek that he is out of danger and that he plans to return to the South Sudanese Diocese.
“I take the chance to greet all of you, my brothers and sisters, in Rumbek. I want you to be at peace to know that I’m well here in the hospital in Nairobi,” Msgr. Carlassare whose episcopal ordination had been scheduled to take place on Pentecost Sunday, May 23, said, adding that he is receiving good medical care, and he is improving.
The episcopal ordination event has since been “postponed until a later date.”
Speaking on behalf of the members of the Sudan Catholic Bishops’ Conference (SCBC) that brings together Catholic Bishops in Sudan and South Sudan, Archbishop Stephen Ameyu of Juba Archdiocese said that the postponement was informed by the state of health of the Bishop-elect and followed consultations with the Apostolic Nuncio to South Sudan, Bert van Megen, and the chargé d’Affaires, Msgr. Mark Kadima.
A new date for episcopal ordination of Msgr. Carlassare “will be fixed as soon as he recovers from the physical and traumatic wounds,” Archbishop Ameyu said Saturday, May 1.
“We Call upon all people of Good will to pray for the Bishop Elect and the Christian of the Diocese of Rumbek,” the Archbishop of South Sudan’s only Metropolitan see said.
Meanwhile, in a separate statement dated Sunday, May 2 and addressed to Priests, men and women Religious and the Laity in Rumbek Diocese, Archbishop Ameyu asks for continued prayers for the Bishop-elect who “has told us that he looks forward to returning to you in Rumbek and that he is holding you all in his prayers.”
"In the meantime, Fr. Andrea Osman, along with some Priests, Religious Sisters, and Laity will ensure the important work of the Diocese continues," the South Sudanese Archbishop who has been at the helm of Juba Archdiocese since March 2020 says in the May 2 statement shared with ACI Africa.
Peter Mapuor Makur contributed to the writing of this story